One of the best ways to stay abreast of jewelery trends, and specifically earrings trends, and get a great preview of styles that are likely to be popular in a season or two is to keep an eye out for the jewelery worn by celebrities.
Celebrities can get hold of the very latest designs – in fact, it is not uncommon for jewelery designers to give away their jewelery to celebrities just for the publicity that it brings to their brand. Because it's quite common for a piece of jewelry worn by a popular star to become the next hot fashion trend.
Keeping your eye open for what's hot and what's not on the celebrity jewelery circuit is an art. Drop earrings, hoop earrings, tribal, chandeliers – do not let it overwhelm you! Here's a quick and easy 6-point list (based on many years experience of celebrity and red carpet-watching!) Of the top earrings trends for the 2009/10 season:
1) We start with statement earrings. Yes folks, oversized statement earrings remain hot property in 2009. We're talking dangling, big chandeliers. The lies of Jennifer Lopez and Mary J. Blige have been seen sporting some great statement earrings, and we can safely say it's a look that's not going to disappear anytime soon.
2) The shoulder-scrapeing chandelier is not to everyone's taste. But the drop earring, or more modestly sized dangling earrings, work equally well. Angeline Jolie, Penelope Cruz and Kate Winslet – even Michelle Obama – have all worn beautiful drop earrings at red carpet events so far in 2009, underlining the resurgence of drop earrings.
3) Bright summery colors are a must-have this season in earrings trends. Banish all that doom and gloom out there with a dash of color. Angelina Jolie wore vivid green earrings at the Oscars and Yolanda Adams went with striking turquoise at the Grammy Awards. Here's my extra little recession-busting tip: earrings can provide an affordable color boost to your whole ensemble. After all, why change your entire outfit when you can just freshen your look with new earrings?
4) Accents of wood, natural seeds and feathers are going to stay popular through the year and into 2010, as the tribal chic or 'safari' look provides so many options. That's why John Galliano for Dior has gone with this look in such a big way.
5) From Spring 2009 and well into 2010, we're going to see jewellery fashions being about refreshing and replenishing, rather than massive evolution every season. This includes earrings trends. And that's good news because a whole lot of what's hot in 2009 will not suddenly look 'so last season' in 2010.
6) If you're not confident about making choices that'll last, my advice is to keep it simple and do not be dictated by earrings trends. Hoop earrings will do the trick: the bottom line is that you never have to worry about whether or not hoop earrings are in style, because they're a classic, a style you can wear forever – look how great Angelina Jolie looks with the simplest hoops. Simple gold or silver hoop earrings are a win-win. But you can also opt for hoops in other materials as unusual as finely woven palm fiber or wood.
Bear this guide in mind and you'll be all set for a memorable 2009/10 season. Most of all, enjoy dressing up with accessories. Earrings are a great way for you to express yourself and exude beauty and style. Go for it!